Monday, December 6, 2010

Skyline



Not a horror, not even much of a sci-fi, but not on purpose.  I really haven’t much to say of Skyline.  It was a major disappointment to have spent money to see this, as I at least expected it to be a big picture, big sound kind of movie.  This review is short and fits with how little actually happens.

Firstly, the dialogue was uninspired.  I cringed with just about every spoken line.  The characters were written to be a vapid bunch of rich assholes and I’m willing to bet not very relatable to the majority of the audience.  Who’s going to give a shit about the survival of a group like this?

We find out pretty quickly that Turk (Donald Faison) from Scrubs plays one of the main roles.  Yes, I love Turk, but hasn’t he only starred in television series?  I was uneasy when he appeared on screen, and rightfully so.  Turk should play Turk.  His character in Skyline did not even offer any comic relief. 

In fact, one thing I may have been able to tolerate of this movie was a little comic relief, but the dialogue purposely offered none.

I found that this movie didn’t offer much of anything.  There were no scares, there were no tense scenes, no gore whatsoever.  In turn of this, and in addition to the god-awful character personalities, I was not once concerned with the well-being of these people.

We find these tiresome characters to be stuck in some condo together, and they don’t move much from there.  The plot is found to be much like Spielberg’s “War of the Worlds”.   Strange aircraft has settled above the city of Los Angeles and the destruction of humankind ensues.  The only difference is the people find themselves oddly drawn to the light that these machines and/or creatures give off, making it a little more difficult to escape.  This difference was not done in any interesting way whatsoever.  It’s just something that was true of their situation and caused them a little bit of discomfort sometimes.

Maybe right now you’re thinking, “Well, hey, I’m sure the effects make up for some of this garbage.”, but you’re wrong.  The effects were sub par, seemingly low-budget, often hazy or blurred, or blocked out by blinding lights and viewed from a distance.  Like I said, I thought that this was going to be at least a big picture, big sound movie.  Imagine my dissatisfaction.

I also regret to inform that the ‘jarring visual’ of the helpless bodies being drawn into the sky that may have looked somewhat promising to my coblogger D-Bag in his trailer review was really the be all end all, but like I said, the effects were lackluster and this visual did not do much of anything for this movie.

Just when you think it couldn’t possibly get worse, the final scene is quite absurd and leaves the viewer groaning, “Really?”.

After watching this, I’m not sure that much of anything actually happened here.  I hope this movie was as cheaply made as it was cheap in every other aspect.

I bloody well hope you don’t waste your time on this one.

XOXO

K-Reel

No comments:

Post a Comment