Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Walking Dead

Finally! It’s what I’ve always dreamed of! A horror television series dedicated to something other than vampires. More importantly, a television series dedicated to ZOMBIES! Let’s face it, the vampire thing has been way overdone to the point where I’m no longer - though, I’m not sure I was ever - interested. Get your baseball bats and shotguns ready. It’s time for some straight up zombie killing.




Based on the American comic book, The Walking Dead was picked up by AMC to be adapted into a television series. I’ll admit I have never read the books, but I’m not sure I’d be able to take an animated zombie apocalypse very seriously. There is something to be said about the precise make up and the blood and gore that goes into producing an onscreen zombie. I’m not sure I’d want it any other way.

The premise of The Walking Dead is relatively simple, and a formula we’ve seen before. Man wakes up from prolonged coma, man realizes he is almost entirely alone, man starts desperate search for those he loves. On the way, man encounters a large quantity of dead people and eventually comes upon someone to explain the back story to this. Survival methods ensue.

Can we say 28 Days Later? Admittedly among my top 5 zombie movies, I can appreciate a similar premise. I think I’m excited to see where they go with The Walking Dead and I will certainly be watching the premier this Halloween. A zombie television series was long overdue.

I’m always interested in observing methods of zombie survival and comparing those methods to my own for when the zombie apocalypse actually hits. Which it will...

XOXO

K-Reel

No comments:

Post a Comment